Saturday, November 24, 2012

How to Prevent Greasy Hair: DIY Recipe for Dry Shampoo

Greasy Hair after Washing?

Learn How to Prevent Greasy Hair with Dry Shampoo!


Greasy girls unite!

In keeping up with my at-home hair care experiments products, I decided it’s time to give it a go with hair powder. Greasy hair has been the bane of my existence ever since middle school. Determined to stop over-washing my long dark locks, which can lead to breakage and loss of moisture, I thought why not; a little hair powder never hurt anyone.

After placing an order with Spirit Beauty Lounge, I chose to receive a free sample of Lulu Organics Lavender + Clary Sage hair powder. This delightful hair powder is crafted with baking soda and a number of additional ingredients that can be found at the local grocery store. Convinced to replicate, or concoct my own special formula, I headed to my favorite place in the world... WHOLE FOODS... for the ingredients to make my own shampoo for greasy hair. I loosely based my formula on this recipe for organic hair powder.
  • 2 Tbl Arrowroot flour
  • 2 Tbl Corn Starch
  • 1 Tsp Baking Soda
  • 3 drops Jasmine Absolute Oil
  • 3 drops Clary Sage Oil
Keep reading for an application video and the quick and easy recipe for my first dry shampoo!

  1.  In a large bowl, add the powders and whisk them together until thoroughly blended.
  2. Add three drops of each oil and mix.
  3. The oil will absorb into little balls of powder. Sift through and break these up with a spoon.
  4. Mix until well blended.
  5. Fill old spice jars with the hair powder.
  6. Sprinkle over oily roots and hair to absorb excess moisture.
  7. Comb the powder through.
This video tutorial from ChanelBlueSatin explains how to prevent greasy hair by using dry shampoo:



Dry shampoo is a greasy hair quick fix. Since it can be impossible to maintain the fresh feeling of hair after washing, dry shampoo and other remedies for greasy hair are the perfect way to get a few extra days between shampoos. Fortunately, curly hair styles and short hair tend to look noticeably less greasy, as natural oils help coat the texturized appearance. No matter what your hair do is, if you suffer from greasy hair, you can learn how to prevent the problem of looking too oily with an effective dry shampoo.

Have you ever made your own dry shampoo? What are your favorite essential oil combos?

0 comments: